Saturday, September 07, 2024

Hinges and Hermites

A slow day, with some little progress.

I experimented with my wardrobe design, cutting a slot into the edge of some 12mm MDF to slot a hinge into. This worked well, but after consideration I've decided that some sort of drop hinge would be better and easier.

At 4pm, I looked again at yesterday's Scarecrow painting. It was too dark, so I decided to do something about it, and erased the barely-visible signature and re-signed it lighter! I also made 6 stars brighter. These seemingly tiny changes transformed the painting for the better!

For much of the day I've been researching audio interpolation algorithms for Prometheus, and this evening and added Cubic Hermite interpolation. I discovered, amazingly, stunningly, perhaps even horrifically, that the linear interpolation I'd been using for the past 20 years didn't work, and may have never worked, or not worked in years. I still can't believe this, as I feel sure I would have thoroughly tested it at the time. It may be that a Visual Studio version has been treating casting differently; this was the only problem, that a long variable was not changed into a float as required.

Well, I fixed that, and added the better Hermite interpolation. Here are three waves, with no interpolation, linear, and cubic Hermite:

Looking at the wave, linear is a lot better than none ('nearest neighbour'), and Hermite a bit better still, though the fact that I haven't heard the difference in years indicates that it's barely an issue. I considered a 'random' interpolation, which may be better still. Anyway, Prometheus v3.42 is now complete.