Monday, September 09, 2024

Kratos Spray, She Just Looks Empty, Polar Bear

Much of yesterday was spent investigating new filters for the resampled versions of Prometheus. It seemed that changing from 44100hz to 88200hz required the base cut-off reducing by 25% to give an approximate similarity by ear. It turns out that, if changing the sample rate, the filters can't just be rescaled to fit, but demand new filter designs. I think the best solution is not to worry and treat this as a limit; if making a song in another core sample rate, everything needs to be uniquely designed for that rate. It's not too serious, and makes some things much easier (no loss of speed, as the plugins need nothing new and dynamic). The spectrum analysis may not work, however.

Anyway, back to art today.

First, spraying Kratos with gold. He looks suitably bronze. I expect that he will never be exhibited much less owned by anyone by me and my heirs, but it's better that he exists than remain a transient plasticine model like most of the others:

Today, I charged into two new paintings. This one is not new, the idea is from 2016 or so, and has been on my hard drive, waiting, for many years. I've gone through many iterations with the design. Revisiting it every now and again, changing the colours, the sizes, experimenting with this and that, never committing to it, never really satisfied.

But today I though I'd expand the idea sketch and charge into it.

Older ideas aren't as satisfying, there's a magical feeling with creating something new and instantaneous in one blink, but this can be a prejudice. The ideal art is long lasting or eternal, so the concept doesn't have to be new, and I've many paintings which I've grown to love which I didn't like at first. One of my most beloved paintings is my old Claire Luce portrait, which I look at every day, yet, technically, it's crude to my current painting abilities. Still, cutting edge art should be as new as possible so that it communicates well to the people of today, and reflects the times of today (for the world and the artist). At the same time, a painting can't help but be contemporary when painted.

I've made a few changes to the concept and will add some figures. The overall mood will be the same or similar; emotions are eternal, but with more of a narrative. This was originally concieved, I think, as a part of the Rachel Hudson series, but not now. Now it's about isolation, being ignored and forgotten, then discovered as a majestic monument.

Another idea worked on today is a simple Polar Bear portrait, the bear as a sort of god echoing to infinity. This small and simple work is drawn and traced already. It needs a colour study next.