Monday, October 07, 2019

ArtSwarm Perfume and Amps

A steady day of regular jobs. First, ArtSwarm filming, editing and uploading. I had a guest today, Mick Masser. He's a singer, and I mentioned in my introduction that he also plays many instruments too. He said, actually, no, he avoids them. I felt the cringe of the chat show host. The hard part in this interview was keeping it short.

Then some initial promotion work on our Friday gig.

We've started work on the set list. I create a folder for every major event or trip or performance, and type up a diary of what was needed, any preparations and how it went. The folder contains images of the event, plus any publicity and materials needed for the show (like sound files). This is all extra paperwork but is an invaluable tool for learning and progression. I analyse each event, learning how to improve it, and monitor other basics like who was in the audience (if any) any sales or costs, timings for setting up and getting there, lots of things like that. Without this, it might be impossible to learn and improve at all, and it's a really useful thing to have if, after several months or years, a similar event is required.

A new 150W amp arrived today, a Behringer B207MP3, so we'll have two similar amps for this small venue, using one with reduced bass for microphones only, one for instruments. I have an 800W system and a mixer, for larger venues. All of this equipment has been built up over years. The 150W amp is good (and compact) but is mono, so ideally two are needed for a stereo electronic instrument. For electronic instruments, I'd prefer each to have its own personal amplifier, rather than feed lots of instruments through a mixer, so each has a sound and location, like an instrument in an orchestra. Perhaps orchestral instruments are all "monophonic" anyway, so having one monophonic amp per instrument might be just fine, but of course synths now usually feature some design over the stereo effect, and I'd like to use that if it were available; stereo makes such a huge difference to immersion.

Of course, big venues need a louder sound, but this set-up is loud enough for most occasions, louder than the loudest cello or piano, and will replace my ageing and beloved 40W Tandy hi-fi amplifier which I've used since the 90s for my synths, and has even been used in performances, including many of the Anatomy of Emotions shows, but is just too quiet for all but the most intimate of venues. I aim to use the piano without any amplification, just its built-in speakers, but I have a spare channel in our set-up if needed.