Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Burn of God Work

A busy few days, having a really nice performance and time at Congleton Library on Monday evening, perhaps our most unified show and a good mix of lighting, speech, music, costume, and a receptive audience, which is half of any performance. Mike Drew is such an asset to the county.

Have spent today working on Burn of God, wrestling with it. I keep wanting to throw all of it away and start afresh, but there are some startling moments, so perhaps the solution is keep the good parts and discard everything else.

Today I've changed the music of the opening track to very approximately match the musical theme of a later track, and re-recorded the vocals which are choral and my most epic to date. This involved singing the same phrase 60 times for each line, and there are four lines, so that's 240 vocal recordings, which are layered in groups of 10 to make them suitably big. The music is in chords, so a lot of vocals to record and painstakingly cut and paste. Singing the same simple phrase over and over is very good vocal practice.

I also found time to start work on the cover art, which is a bit of a distraction while I think about the next steps for the music. I've changed so much since starting the album that every step of work on it has been frustrating. My plan is to complete it as soon as I can, hopefully by the end of next week, not even certain to share the results unless I'm completely happy with it. We will see what happens.