Thursday, October 24, 2019

Diabetes, Burn of God, Modern Game Launch Day

A full day. Many dreams last night, at one point I dreamed of meeting chef Jamie Oliver during a party on a boat. I said that he should write a book about low sugar and low fat food. I then found a small cut in my arm, on the soft skin of my inner elbow. It had a tiny, white, worm-like thread coming out of it. I pulled it and a small brown slug was (somewhat disgustingly) pulled from my vein, then a second slug, also with it's white worm-like tail.

I awoke from this and had the idea that diabetes and other nutrition related diseases was due to the lack of hunger, rather than an excess of sugar. People are in a situation where hunger is rarely, or necessarily, tolerated, when it probably has many health benefits. I'm not sure what this has to do with the dream or what the dream was about.

Most of the day was spent working on the start of some music for Burn of God. The intro from yesterday is so dramatic that its energy doesn't match the quiet and mystical other tracks, so I thought I'd try a rock/blues song, which feels like it should follow naturally, like a long meditative train. I image albums as a story and series of scenes, and we begin alone in bed at night, so I thought that a door in the protagonist's mind is the next step; something like the Acid Queen scenes from Tommy. I recorded a few notes about the structure in the middle of the night. I've been listening to King Crimson, Cream and other jazz and improvisational influences recently, so this will influence this song. I've also just about completed work on the cover.

It's also the official launch day for The Modern Game today. I've made some preliminary updates to my website to reflect this. The books have arrived exactly on time, so the full folio versions of the album can go on sale. I've moved on so quickly that I'll not have time or incentive to work much more on this, but I will sell these art future live events. The music is now online globally, so at least people can find it, although they would probably have to stumble across it, as my voice is a tiny one in the vast wind of the Spotify-YouTube cosmos.

I could easily spend weeks promoting this (and Future Snooker and Future Pool), but after a short time doing this, I'm filled with anguish and it seems pointless. It's good music, and there are people out there who would like it, but trying to find them will be so very difficult that my time is probably better and happier spent creating new, good work. I will make some more videos for Marius at some point.