Thursday, October 17, 2019

The Spiral Staircase

A sleepless night of stomach pain. Awoke late to rehearse a 15-minute segment of The Spiral Staircase which I've decided to perform at the Rainbow Arts Evening tonight. This is the 4th time I've played a segment of The Spiral Staircase live. The first was a full 45-minute performance with three synthesizers, backing track, full 45-minute video projection film by Sue Mascarenhas, smoke and two spinning lasers. This took place at The Electric Picture House in Congleton.

I, like everyone, there was freezing cold in a room that was below freezing, but the performance went well for something so big and complex. Tonight's will be a lot simpler, but still include two synths and lights, and in many way more expression as the backing parts will be triggered when needed, rather than being a fixed line to follow.

Perhaps one day I could stage this as a full event itself, adding another 45-minute set for a second half. I've often thought of composing a sequel, and actually ended the music of the album with a sequel in mind. I'm unhappy with my past work and want to move on. The 'god' album is causing me anxiety. I've changed too much artistically since starting it, and now feel that I have a mess of different ideas, words, and music that need to be pulled into something. It would be easiest to throw it away, it's not like anyone cares, except curators of the distant future, but I don't want to become like Sibelius and hide or destroy things that might be perfectly fine. Nothing is perfect. The solution is normally to work fast. I can't believe the year is nearly over. I feel I've done nothing in 2019.