Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Burn of God Booklet Art

Awake from 7am after a nightmare about children stealing 'our' front car wheels, specifically the front right one. I caught them later and they became sort of tiny balloon people for me to squeeze and punish but they were sneering at my puny attempts at revenge.

A long day, all spent working on the internal CD art for Burn of God. I will aim for an 8-page booklet, but can't include detailed lyrics as the image for this scale of printing are images, sp excluding cursive text. I've made images for each page. I was happy with both Cycles & Shadows and even more, the Music of Poetic Objects art. Like many of my albums, I try to find a visual motif or theme or icon to repeat and use.

Until Music of Poetic Objects, my art rarely included any references to the tracks, and were generally backgrounds for credits or liner notes, but 8-pages gives more room and possibilities. Most CD booklets are broadly blank, with lyrics on top. I'll have no lyrics (or few) so the booklet must be art, perhaps like Snakes & Arrows by Rush; a band always inventive and surrealistic with their cover artwork, reminiscent of the Hypgnosis covers used by Pink Floyd, Genesis etc. These suit my style of music, but I want each cover to be different and creative in its own way. In some ways, the other artists like Marius Fate, are good ways to experiment with this.