Thursday, January 16, 2020

Garden of Love

Here are the words to the penultimate song on Burn of God, Garden of Love. The album is in four sections with a one-track epilogue. This is from the final section, which is about a positive spin on an atheist universe, and this song is about my beliefs that we live on in the minds of the people we knew, and in the difference we make to the universe.

A damp day
dark and bleak.
A crow sends a note
to the winter's sky,
for I am dead today.
See there the weeping few.

In their minds I am alive
and in their hearts I will forever be,
and everything I've done
is part of the universe.

Do you think I've missed out by not being in paradise
when the living think of me so well?
Would you be disappointed not to live in a garden of spring,
or sad that the bad aren't in hell?

In you
I will live forever.
Take care of my soul
and my memory, for you are my heaven.

Do not cry,
for your friends will be your garden of love
for you,
when you die.