Friday, January 10, 2020

Riding Pi

A slower day. I know that I'm near the end of the album and must decide on the flow of mood. I've extended Organon to a second verse, a second wave, which feels like it should work. I thought a faster mood would help in this final section too, I didn't want it too short compared to the rest of the album, and in an improvised piano track called The Dream, I had a melodic line which I could re-use, so have sketched out a fast track about riding the edge of the number pi using that melody. This will be the last track to create.

This album has been hard work but I'm pleased with it so far, it hangs together as one and feels like a complete album in my 'symphonic' progressive style, like The Spiral Staircase, like The Love Symphony. Cycles & Shadows was a mix of half existing performance work and half of more interesting experimental songs, and Music of Poetic Objects was a similar album of two halves rather than a whole work. Tree of Keys was a compilation, like many of my recent albums. Bites of Greatness, Anatomy of Emotions, Testing the Delicates; these were conventional albums, unified in feeling but not internally structured with repeating motifs or an overall idea, but The Modern Games has a unity to the album as a whole. This should always be my aim; it was even back with my first opus Synaesthesia. Perhaps I've not focused on music, that is why. Many of the other albums were spontaneous collections of music made for other reasons rather than albums made intentionally from the start as audio artworks. Perhaps yes, The Love Symphony was my last for that (or Finnegans Judgement)! Enough introspection. On with art!

Lots of time tends to be taken with tweaks, re-recording, final listening. I must try to keep this to a minimum. I'd like to finish this by the end of January, then start on some Fall in Green or Marius Fate music. The next Marius album will certainly be mostly a collection of existing songs made for other reasons! But I will try to unify it... and the album will be themed. The whole Marius project is about rock/pop anyway.