Thursday, January 09, 2020

Organon and Clouds

A great couple of days after a couple of stuck ones, the key is to keep trying, learning to fit into the new groove of a new skill, from video to music. I hardly slept yesterday due to stomach pain, irritable bowel, the general illness of stopping when I'm used to running. This was an almost unimportant aspect of the day, which, feelings aside was extremely productive and positive.

The rock-like song from the previous post is too light and silly for the album. I started on a new, slower tune which evolved into something of a drone. I have a list of things to say in the finalé of the album, and rather than stick to the order, fitted the music to the idea.

The music is about growth, and it began with a nice sound combination in the sequencer more than anything (some strings combined with a sound of boiling bolognese sauce, an old sample from my hand-made sound effect collection called, unsurprisingly, Bolognese Boil). The music naturally evolved to reflect the two key chords of the intro. For this finale, I want to use the music in the rest of the album; this both adds unity and simplifies, it reduces options yet reveals new things to the listener. My chords which were D-minor and a rather ambiguous, dissonant chord (could be C-major, could be F-major) which I moved into C-major. The song grew, with echoes of the end of Kate Bush's Aerial; D to D/C then more complex chords. The song grows to a climax at about two minutes, but it would nicely fall back to the quiet D-minor (oddly, I find myself reminded of the Peter Gabriel/Kate Bush song Don't Give Up, too, it has that quiet, bass-like feeling).

The theme and meaning of the song is about discovery, so might not work as well if it goes back to the simple background again. The climax might work better as a climax, but then what options do we have? Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd fades away in inverse fashion, but that seems odd, like a discovery, revelation, then wandering away again.

The basics there are done. At night I wrote some lyrics to a second song, a quiet song about death and heaven. I will wait for the right mood and record this live.

Today started with taking a time-lapse film of the sunrise, which looked amazing, some great clouds in the sky today because it rained last night. Here is a still:

Then I re-recorded the vocal parts to The Great Grandfather's Song verses, and added vocoded parts to The Great Conveyor. Generally speaking, the album is coming together well. I have a big to-do list; more videos, and starting work on two Fall in Green albums or EPs.