Thursday, March 05, 2020

Flatspace Music Pack 3

Last night's Judas presentation by John Lindley in Congleton Library was inspiring, a talk with videos and slides about a crucial few years in Bob Dylan's life. Dylan was a born musician and performer, and yet, when he switched to electric instruments, continued to perform against a tide of criticism from fans who didn't seem to understand him as an artist. He had a public perception as a folk singer, a protestor, a messenger of youth, yet, none of that image his doing, it was an incorrect perception by a press who prefer sound-bites and pigeonholes. He was a composer and performer like any other, wanting to move on and showcase his latest work, not his older work, and yet many fans wanted the older work; a problem exacerbated by the re-release of older records alongside newer work. One thing he particularly didn't do is communicate this; he didn't seem to explain why he was doing what he was doing to the audience. It seems he didn't care at all, about his perception, the audience, his fame or fortune or lack of it, just wanted to sing; yet an artist's job is partly to communicate with his audience, and even 'theatrical' type performers tend to need to do this to succeed.

It was nice to see many relatively recent friends at the library too. I feel blessed to know such people.

I felt a little weak and cold-filled yesterday (I defied W.H.O. rules by going!) and am still every bit as tired and sniffly today, perhaps less sore inside. Onward we push.

I completed the music for the Flatspace IIk Music Pack 3 today, I added a special edit of Paragon from Animalia. I struggled to balance that track originally, when I composed it in 2004. Today I made a few swift tweaks and it instantly sounded a lot better. I find this engineering side of music much easier now. I would like to go back and remaster/rebalance many of my old albums. Some, like The Spiral Staircase, I'm happy with, but I feel I could improve almost all of them now.

This ache to correct old artwork is unpleasant, it feels like a pointless, neurotic obsession, even if the desire to improve these old things is a true feeling that may have merit. An artist should be creating new work. I rarely used to care about such things, instead inspired by the next wonder, but then my writings and poems were considered complete in one draft. I know now that more drafts often improve things. Everything takes longer, but it must, if it is to be better. There is no point in producing work that is merely as good, or even similar, to that which has come before.

I've also created a document about the music pack and completed the technical set-up for a future release on Steam.

I've also worked on The Intangible Man book, after receiving a foreword from John Keane, so a few things of good quality are ready for some future release.

Next I must work on the Clown music... but part of me would like to tweak old work.