Monday, March 23, 2020

Remastering Animalia

I'm still somewhat struggling with latent anxiety, but managing to sleep. I am perhaps not unique in this, in these times. I remind myself that my distress and vigilance is for the sake of others. One trick to relax, or change any aspect of your self or being, is to imagine someone else in the situation to desire, someone who looks like you. Picturing a relaxed doppelganger seems to work better than trying to convince your own body to relax, perhaps because it is something external to focus on.

I spent an hour or two last night listening to old music, on Minidisc, often from the 90s. How nice it is to reminisce. The tunes have a similar structure to each other, often quite simplistic, normally a few shifting chords and many layers of melodies (why have a countermelody when you can have four!) over those chords. I have enough unreleased tunes on there to make a complete album. I'm not sure what the artistic merit would be, but it's an idea for the future.

I thought this week would be a good time to work on a few simple jobs, so decided to work on a remaster of Animalia. The music was largely fine for this 2004 album, but a few tracks could be improved in the balancing, the album was never mastered in 32-bit, unlike my contemporary albums, and I didn't produce a CD or much artwork beyond a cover, so I thought I'd spend a few days working on this. Most people will not notice any difference, the musical changes will be that subtle, but keeping the production quality high and consistent for my entire back catalogue is important to me. I might even tweak Synaesthesia again.

I tend to dislike 'remastered' albums by other artists, mainly because its become a byword for compressing everything, making everything sound louder, as if reducing the dynamic range is somehow 'better'. I hate this use of compression. My tweaks will be very subtle changes to a select few tracks.