Saturday, March 14, 2020

Poetry and Golden Anniversary

I'm finding it difficult to write meaningful poems about the Coronavirus Epidemic. Perhaps it is too raw, too powerful and prescient, too uncertain. There are no stories, just feelings, which have overwhelmed me recently. These words came to me in the night, they are more like a meditation or personal prayer than a poem.

I am afraid today,
but I know that others are more afraid
and with more cause.
And that they need me.

If you are afraid,
know that others are more afraid,
and with more cause.
And that they need you.

It is fifty years and one week since my parents were married, so I am going for a meal with them and a few family members. I'm finding the emotions of everything quite hard to cope with, I must news-isolate. I still have sniffles, still annoying, slowly, ever-slowly receding. I am defying government advice by going out with these symptoms, but I will be careful. I don't have a cough or even sneezes, this infection, now weeks old, is very mild, if persistent. This day will be unique and special.