Monday, October 05, 2020

Raft Dream, Progressive Music

Last night I dreamt of being afloat in a raft in, at first, a flooded field, in sight of a canal or river. A woman was with me, or I was the woman. Then we were on an ocean with rolling waves. Low clouds were blowing over the surface quickly, and I could see them come and go, blown by a string and exhilarating wind. I said that it feels good to be in the free ocean because we can see the clouds coming.

the scene changed and I became Lt. Torres in Star Trek. I reported for duty but felt unnwell, and informed my commander, who was, I think, the Voyager Doctor. I carred with my a small round cushion which I could use to lean on the consoles, like a short seat, like a misericord, to rest. The commander mocked me for feel weak and I said I felt fine, then I collapsed. I was then carried to sick bay, but I awoke from the dream before finding out the cause.

The first part of the dream is clearly about emotions, dealing with ups and downs or coping with this drama rather than the logic of emotionless creativity. Emotions are needed to create good work but are troublesome things when undirected, and my mood seems to be up and down each day. Perhaps the dream indicates that it's better to ride like this. Perhaps the second part refers to my persistent tickliness and strange throat, although it seems better today.

In the day, I decided to sort of the tracks for the Fall in Green album. I'm so pleased I worked on some later, as these newer ones, Herr Kasperle and The Jabberwocky are so different and more experimental than the earlier tracks. I must keep experimenting and working hard. One track, a sad piano track, seems almost too morose to include on its own, but should work better with words. I still have the Siamese Twin poem to do and have written aboout five test versions, all different.

One is like a string trio which plays through all 12 chords, then plays the same melody backwards, a palindrome, like a Siamese Twin. It is interesting, but also very short and the feeling is rather flat and undramatic like a Bach fugue in strings. I will keep working at this.

My mood has generally been very low and slow today, but at times I've enjoyed this when thinking about art, it seems to help. I've also ordered a new electro-acoustic guitar, inspired by and encouraged by Deb. My new music includes a few acoustic sections and if I am ever to play any live, will need a guitar with amplification.

My art is clearly moving and expanding in the area of music and I'm practising singing, guitar, and piano regularly. I don't feel this is a permanent move; painting, film, writing, will also always, I think, be part of my work, but I feel I'm making progress and pushing new ground here at the moment. My music is becoming more like 70s progressive music in spirit... I feel everything must be new and difficult. Of course, there are differences in my work; one is that I'm eclectic and want to explore many areas, and my synth-pop compositions are one example.