Saturday, October 31, 2020

I, Sisyphus

A generally slow and restful day. I've written new lyrics for the Sisyphus song and worked out a basic melody. I think piano works best for this, guitar-based songs often seem simplistic in melody and key, but I've stuck to E-minor (G-major) to make the song guitar centred. Why a guitar uses this key is beyond me. Piano is generally C-major based (or F#, for symmetry of the keys). Other instruments might be Bb (trumpets, clarinets, saxophones), or A, or F, or Eb! but no other instrument seems to use G, when bizarrely, a guitar can easily be tuned to any key. Both D# or F would fit my piano playing better but I'd have to redraw my chord books and I dislike the idea of learning a non-standard; even if Nick Drake and Tony Iommi famously used non-standard tunings.

I've also completed my monthly backups a day early, keeping the day free for tomorrow.

I've ordered a cable to split the headphones between the PC and my Zoom recorder, so I can hear the backing track and my guitar exactly how it is being recorded. Judging the distortion level and tone is really difficult when hearing in the room.