Friday, October 16, 2020

More Cement, Wire Jabberwocky and Stop-Motion Animation Models

Cement day two, filling in smaller gaps with a mere 500ml or so of sand and cement.

Then I adjusted the vocal balance for the loud finale of Jabberwocky, due to Deb's feedback. Getting the vocal volume right is tricky in this track because the climax of the music corresponds with the climax of the vocals too. The best option is to reduce elements of the music rather than boost the vocals. I'm not really fan of 'riding the console', that is dipping the music levels temporarily to make way for vocals, I prefer to design a tune such that vocals can smoothly fit into any music, but that only really works with pop songs or muisc with a steady and regular level of sound. Jabberwocky is much more like classical music in the mix.

After that I started work on a model Jabberwocky for the music video. This is only a possible model... I have an idea for the video, but the look of the model and how it will be animated or move is not decided yet. Sparks' Edith Piaf video is an inspiration but I want to avoid stop-motion animation if at all possible; it takes too long and I've never done it before.

No matter how the video works, a model Jabberwocky will be needed, a poseable one, so I spent an hour or two making a wire skeleton, actually from garden wire which I twisted into twin strands using a power drill because I've run out of modelling wire. This seems to be tough - I hope it will resist metal fatigue. After making a basic skeleton, I added some Milliput to the main joint areas, places which won't move where there are a lot of wire knots. This will stop the limbs, fingers etc. sliding about or becoming loose. The head is a semi-permanent afterthought - it can be pulled off if I don't like or need it. This is all skeleton - hidden underparts. I could cover all of it with fur or felt... or anything else. I wondered if I could dip it all in Paraloid B72 acrylic resin to give it a smooth coating. Would it remain flexible? I think it would flex enough. Perhaps this is an ideal coating that could be sculpted and painted and yet remain posable? the ideal substance would be hard enough to look like a real animal yet flexible enough to bend at the joints.

I have some heat-melt rubber (used for making moulds) - that might work and is certainly flexible, but how could it be applied? And could it be scuplted and painted? Probably not, it is very greasy in texture, almost like a slimy jelly. I could use sponge for the joints and a harder substance, like the epoxy clay, for the immovable parts.

Is Paraloid B72 flexible? Most acrylic tends to be, well, the paint can be, perspex is rather brittle. The dry Paraloid chips seem brittle. Uhu glue seems to set into a transparent but very rubbery blob. Perhaps hot-melt glue would work, or PVA, or Golden Clear Tar Gel - that is rather flexible.