Friday, October 23, 2020

New Bites of Greatness Cover

A full day working on the new Bites of Greatness cover. I created three different designs with different poses but settled on one because I liked the Louis XIV quality of the pose, then subverted it with bites, which is a recurring motif on the old cover, and one I will reuse if/when a CD verision is made because the current art is rather good.

Lots of tiny changes, constant tweaks, adjusting colours, placement. As in music, the balance is one of hard, digital, clean; and noisy, analogue, messy. The mix should be just right. Not too simple, not too complex.

Here it is so far:

The red/yellow text reminds me of 1980s Top of the Pops, or albums like the early Now, and Hits, and Hooked on Classics. The red seems to compress badly as a jpg and looks blurred; I might have to tweak the hue for this reason...

All of this is time consuming work. I also have to do an Infinite Forest cover at some point, and of course one for our new Fall in Green album, but I really need to photograph Deb for that. Indoor mixing is currently forbidden with these so-called Tier-2 Covid restrictions. I would think that technically a photography session for a music release is professional work and thus permitted; but we're unlikely to meet indoors for the forseeable future - we've only done so about three times since this all began, Deb is working a lot and there is no immediate rush for the albul art, we can wait a month or so. One possibility is that the album will come out in the first quarter next year, with a single in January.

I want to move on and create more music. I have so many ideas and so much music waiting to fly out. I am annoyed by pains, but excited and energised too.