Sunday, November 08, 2020

Life in the Mirror Complete, and an Analysis of Sisyphus

I posted a congratulatory note about the presidential election to America on Twitter. Today my feed is full of people congratulating Joe Biden. I realised how insane this is. Millions of ordinary people everywhere issuing well-worded decrees and notices to the world as though they are secretaries of state for their own little country. Fred the milkman, Jane the dentist, congratulating the president elect by neo-telegram issued to the press and world at large. This itself helps explain the rise of the populist.

I hardly slept last night, burning with energy and anxiety, so doing anything in the day was a battle, but I managed to complete the final part to my unusual song of 'Life in the Mirror'. The ending falls to very gentle vocals, sung in almost a choir-boy style. I'm pleased with the inventiveness of this track.

I must also refine and check the 'The Invisible Man', and will create a new ending which references Camus. He indicates that Sisyphus is happy in his eternal labour, but because he is master of his fate and in control of his work, which seems like a strange argument. For me, Sisyphus is only enduring a torture when he thinks and expects his work to end when he reaches the top, only to turn and see the boulder roll back to the bottom. This pain is only effective once. If he knew his task was eternal then the rolling or the falling, or any other aspect would be no worse than any other. He would be emotionless, not tortured, his work would simply be work. So his torture must inevitably fail, unless his memory of his labour is wiped after the boulder falls and he reaches the bottom of the hill; yet, if his memory is wiped, then one roll is as effective, as painful, as an infinite number.

Anyway, I will end the album (or E.P.) with some sort of loop, so the last track, after The Invisible Man, must lead back to I, Sisyphus.