Monday, November 16, 2020

Sample Oscillator Synchronisation

I focused on practical things today; posted my Christmas gifts for distant friends, it's probably better to get this over with in November as I expect December will be somewhat manic in the post office. I also framed print number 14 of 100 of The Paranoid Schizophrenia of Richard Dadd, and finalised the new artwork for Bites of Greatness. Here it (finally) is:

Then I decided to do some program updates to Prometheus. When I programmed it, I'm sure I read that Middle C had a frequency of 261.63hz, so I used that I didn't bother to check it. Yesterday I checked it and found that it was only an approximation. The real number is 2 tothepowerof -0.75 * 440 = 261.625565301... hz so I've modified my analogue wave generators to that frequency, making my software that -tiny- bit more in tune.

While I was at it I looked at an old, and never used, effect I developed called Oscillated Sample. This is a sample-based version of the oscillator synchronisation effect that is common on analogue synthesizers, it simply runs a second oscillator at a certain pitch and resets a chunk of the sample when that oscillator resets. The result is very gargly, but it also changes the pitch of the sample while preserving the duration, so I can use it for vocal harmonies (I'd never thought of applying it to vocals before). The gargle effect makes the result sound a bit like Bowie's vocals in Scary Monsters, and it sounds very aliased, but I have already found a use for it in the new Nick Drake song.

I must complete the production on the existing songs of this album, only then can and will I write new ones.