Saturday, April 09, 2022

Chester, More Filing, Order

A trip to Chester to collect from the Grosvenor Museum in the cold air and bright sun of spring. The young lady at the desk asked about my Nantwich exhibition, which was nice.

Back home, constant work on music admin. The PRS registers compositions (musical ideas, notes, lyrics), rather than recordings, edits, versions, so some of my tracks have ambiguities regarding edits or alternative versions. The new registrations of my complete catalogue are revealing errors. So far I've listed 24 of my 64 albums/releases.

This made me think that some of the power held by big record companies is exactly this, the huge mass of data, carefully managed and accrued over many years. This has great value in its size and its order.

There are probably not many musicians who do all of this work, but for me, filing and neat records are a key purpose of life. A tidy world means a tidy life means tidy cells and a long existence. Truth is order, and so perhaps, order is beauty. One key element of my cosmogony is that the universe is broken and needs us to heal and fix it. My 'god' is imperfect, and needs our help. The messy universe needs people to make it neat and beautiful, so artists, like cleaners, like archivists, are paragons of the living.