Monday, April 04, 2022

Coming Back To Earth, Society for Art of Imagination Membership

A steady day yesterday. I applied the new vocals to Coming Back To Earth, and practiced some of the guitars for it. I also applied the vocals to Love In A Hopeless world, but these are difficult because of the strained drama, the desperation, of the chorus vocals which sound good in the original, so any new version needs to match in tone, grow from gradual gentleness into that desperate emotion.

I applied to be, and have now been accepted as, a member of the Society for Art of Imagination. I feel honoured to be a member, and have long admired the technical skill and imaginitive art of the group. The society, so I beleive, split into two slightly separate factions, and I was, in 2016, accepted by email alone into the society by Michel de Saint Ouen, but I heard nothing more and my enquires were not responded to. Thanks to Marcus Usherwood I attended one of their exhibitions in Bakers' Hall, London, in 2017, and spoke to Brigid Marlin and met several other members. I was keen to see the 'mische technique' in person (I was disappointed, but it confirmed in me that my technique is the most efficient and best looking way to oil paint).

I love a few things about the society: the 70's fantasy art aesthetic, which, although can suffer from nonsensical or hippie-psychedelic silliness in terms of subject matter, does display great technical finesse and a love of skill and complexity; it is this which unites this visual art with progressive rock. I also love the focus on, from the members I know of, oil painting and physical media; not digital or other child-like media.