Monday, April 18, 2022

More Sampling

Shattered and spiral-eyes today after another full day of sampling instruments and waves, just some cymbals and bass drums. I now have 542 waves recorded; this is instantly more than the total array of all percussion sounds I've used with Prometheus for the last 19 years. Snare drums and misc. others (finger snaps, cowbells etc.) to come.

One challenge is the naming convention. I'm using drum type (or cymbal type) then the wave name, and sometimes the genre and then a further designator; eg. BassdrumRockMODX. This is flexible enough. I tend to prefer descriptive names to numbers SnareHouse1 isn't as useful as SnareCrunchy, for example, but I don't want to obscure the wave names so much that I have duplicates. I know/knew every wave I have now by heart, so know the sounds, but now there are too many to know. For Tom drums I use letters for high, mid, low etc. so A to E in descending pitch. Until today I had 3 or 4 tom sounds, and tended to only use two. Now I have about 40.