Wednesday, September 07, 2022

Freud's Complete, Give Me Your Pain

Completed Freud's Lecture yesterday. Started the day by slowing sown some sections, then extending the middle 'childhood' part with a large piano solo of an explosive, surrealistic and improvised nature. I've not really included something like this in a song very often, so I thought I'd add it, and this key track deserves and needs to be longer than 2:15. I then opened the piece with an extract from the interval recording, looping and getting faster; a few words about the lights going off as we enter the unconscious; then some ticks for knitting needles. It was hard to find things that sounded like knitting needles, they have a very specific sound, not wooden, not plastic, and metal can sound ringing. I found some aluminium tent pegs which did the job and 'played' these live for the intro.

Then, I recorded and split the piano for Give Me Your Pain. My procedure for all of these tracks now is to start with the piano and use its pacing and emotion as the main guide, then split this into sections based on the track structure. I then import those and making each part start at the start of a new measure, using tempo controls to skip to them. This makes the songs easier to navigate and easier to change a middle section without disrupting the whole song. Nothing here ever stick to sequencer tempo or any regular tempo. Controls like quantisation, beats-per-minutes, beats-measures-sections are meaningless. My notes float as free in digital space as on a tape recording. This is excellent, but will make editing take longer.

Finally, I recorded and split the piano for Sit With Your Ghost, but nothing but the bare start on that.

Today, I've glued the first wood for the Love And Wi-Fi frame. I'll have to do a second piece tomorrow, then all will be set for our weekend away, ready for cutting the frame early next week.