Monday, September 26, 2022

Pain, Heart of Snow, and Glass Limiter Problems

A night of agonising stomach pain, unable to lie down, even sitting was painful and didn't aid my blocked digestion. I expect I simply ate too much, though this wasn't evident while eating... I have to guess how much to eat rather than rely on appetite as my digestion is generally very slow and filled with twitches and swellings. I didn't sleep until 6am, exhausted after a night of mostly pacing.

Despite this, I started the day well, if late. I revisited my Heart of Snow album as planned, with plans to re-work the title track. I've changed the chords and key, from C-minor for the verses to A-minor, which sounds a lot better. The high notes of the C were both shrill to sing and didn't fit the feeling of the song, which should start low and listless, like a voice in the fog. There was a lot of work to do, as there are many sub-melodies and some choirs tuned for the complex chords, but all went well. The chorus and other parts remain in C-minor and generally fit better than before. The intro solo meanders in C-minor before emerging into an unexpected A. I then re-sang the song and it all worked better than in the original, all done in a day.

Then some problems began, as I discovered a bug in my new and fantastic Glass Limiter. It was supposed to interpolate between a limited/crunched signal and a 'pure' scaled one, but for some reason it kept peaking over the ceiling (or is that peeking!) when this should not be possible. After a lot of work I realised that the pure signal was not limited as it should have been, and when I did this and finally got it working as it should, the result was unexpectedly awful! Disaster!

It worked far better before but it brought back the horror of the Organic limiter, as the key ceiling limit was violated in unexpected ways. After much optimism, I may have to abandon my limitations altogether.

One good part of the night was that, during my pain, and tedious pacing in the cold and dark, I listened to Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World album, the 2015 remaster. This is an example of a great remaster, none of the excessive distortion, but a lovely listen all round. The music itself isn't very good, the era of Bowies seeking and striving towards something new, making slow progress in small steps.