Friday, September 16, 2022

Pain and Philosophy

Too stomach pained to work today, but today's piano lesson was good and I managed to complete an hour or so of work on Empathy With Daisies. I think my stomach pain is due to getting too cold yesterday, sitting outside for over an hour, perhaps a change of blood pressure, this slow digestion; or countless other things. I'm still in horrible pain but have eaten relatively normally.

I've read about a few things; An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, Jorge Luis Borges' "The Secret Miracle", and other (always wonderful) Borges stories. I watched a few episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

We have a physalis plant. It's fruiting now, having grown from the discarded seed of one fruit I was given by Deb. I wondered whether the plant was 'weaker' than its parent, grown from a discarded supermarket fruit. I marvelled at the anti-entropic properties of life. Some tiny aspect of life can overcome entropy; the aspects which succumb die and fade, but some aspects defy this universal force and, after 4.5 billion years, from parent cell to child cell, continue to survive. In life we hope for something better, for a 'breakthrough', success, a windfall, some hope of thing, but life in reality is a succession of being battered, smashed, attacked, by others, by fate, by elements of decay, and our survival despite this. We don't thrive, but elements can survive - these are our victories. Our hopes are not in growth, but in a lack of death, in survival. The best life can do is survive, fleeing with panic'd eyes a torrent of hell-hounds called death; a storm of information collapse always at our heels, the acid of entropic rot.