Thursday, March 04, 2021

Dreams Of You Structure

A slow day, feeling tired and lacklustre. I worked on the new song. The words were initially:

As the snow falls soft in the rainbow lights
you will laugh with friends.

I will stand outside with the dying plants
and watch, pretend,

and I'll see and I'll be
with you in my dreams,
my dreams of you.

Yes I know I'm dead in your happy heart
that door is closed

and I'm left alone to love the parts
of broken rose

and I'll see and I'll be
with you in my dreams,
my dreams of you.

But the song was a little too short and too repetitive. So I decided to add two instrumental breaks, after the first chorus, and after the 'rose' verse, then adding a final verse:

You can't shut me out, it's not over,
the stories of my sadness will not be true

for I'll see and I'll be
with you in my dreams
my dreams of you.

Which creates a nice mood too, the lyrics read like a last love letter. I wanted a bit more inventiveness in the chords. As I said last night the verses are A-minor then D-minor but the chorus ends on an off G-minor, so the 'Yes I know' verse uses that, turning the whole song two semitones lower, but I can't carry on like that (I don't think...) so it jumps back to D-minor for the next verse. Then the first instrumental part. I thought of using the 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' chords, but starting on G-minor rather than A-minor, so: G-min, F-Maj, E-min, D#-Maj to D-Maj, but later, for the last verse, needed to use same chords in another key that would lead to the final chorus (the D-Maj wouldn't easily do that), so I picked a simpler G-min, D-Maj, D#-Maj, C-min.

Not 100% sure on any of it yet but I've sequenced up a basic arrangement. The whole song so far is quite long even before I work out the instrumental parts and I'm not sure if I like the melody. If the chords and general tune sound okay then I'll next work on the pace and feeling before I add too much. The song must start gently, in the snow, in the fog of winter, but end in epic dramatic territory.