Monday, March 22, 2021

No Good Ideas Sawing, Monster Framing, Lachesis Tracing

A less busy day than yesterday but still non-stop.

I started by sawing down the panel for No Good Ideas, then painted the fringes there because the frame has only a small recess, so the painting needs to be painted to the edge. I love the colour matching and the meticulous work of this, but I must be careful not to waste too much time on it. Life is short!

This took me up to lunch time. Then I did a lot of art admin; updating my artworks spreadsheet with new works. Every painting and drawing is listed there (not digital works) with dimensions, framed dimensions, hours taken, price, framing status etc. I added the drawings from my recent books and several other artworks made since 2019.

Then I framed up Monsters of Spring, then traced the Lachesis underdrawing. I applied an ultramarine toning layer. I trace over the underdrawing using a 0.05mm pen, then a watercolour pencil, then a metal scribe - each stage is there to preserve the maximum accuracy. Sometimes I use oil paint, for difficult surfaces like glass, plastic, or polyester which resist pencil. I still use the pen and scribe though. Dali, as I'm sure you know, advocated a method using cellophane and a needle, but this method is better. I used to apply an oil imprimatura after this, but now I usually apply an acrylic tone first, before tracing, as the result is more even.

My last job was the balance some of the new Nightfood music a little. I have new text for The Chinese Intangible Man so will work on that next. I need to design a cover for that book too.

This pandemic is a drain but I am now fully prepared for 6 or 9 months of work. I still suspect that things won't be back to 'normal' until 2024. I can only hope that by this time next year, I can meet Deb. The long-term lack of physical contact with another human being must have some sort of physical, as well as a psychological, effect but of course I am used to this.

In art, I am enthused, excited, inspired, and my health and general state is good. On we march.