Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Finalising Tree of Keys Edits, Lachesis Composition

A slower day. I started by working on 'I, Spider' again, checking the important climax part, but it was good enough, then mastered the final waves, filed the album and made a new video. I'm not totally committed to replacing the album as yet as the changes are relatively minor. In the afternoon I worked more on the album art, oddly I didn't complete this, partly because I've since changed my standards so that every album has an 8-page 600dpi booklet. If (when) I make a CD version it would be unthinkable to use the old/existing audio rather than these new ones.

Then drew out the papers for two new paintings and continued composition work on the Lachesis painting. The latter had a snake's tail on the left which improved the cyclic composition, but it didn't fit with the theme of trapped by fate; there are no starts or ends because each apparent start or end must be false, the whole painting must be like an endless puzzle. So I blended the snake into the sea, as I have elsewhere. The look is something of a syphony of snakes or drips.

I toyed with the idea of writing a book about my unique oil painting technique. After years of painting essentially in three coloured layers I've evolved an efficient and pretty technique. Having seen a few 7-ish-layer 'Mische Technique' paintings on the lovely evening I met Brigid Marlin, I was somewhat disappointed with their finish, my work looks as good or better with fewer layers (but of course I have a few other secrets and years technical refinements and experiments). I think three layers is optimal. There are three primary colours. More layers might make things smoother but each one has less and less effect on the chromatic glow, and makes the painting take a lot longer for less and less effect.

One of the new pages is for an old idea called Spree Killer, but it's a very simplistic idea. I will have to add and create more for it. I also need to complete the vocals for the Dream song.

Lots to do, I'm feeling inspired and busy.