Wednesday, March 03, 2021

More Physically Fit Changes, New Song Beginnings

Well, the song still wasn't quite right so I spent last evening re-recording and changing that crucial focus part again. The gentle wah-type synth sound in there created a nice restful section, but it seemed to jump too quickly into the climactic chorus, so I decided to make a mini-transformation. I added new words "So, what do you say?" in the main voice, then a pause where the whole song stops for a few beats, followed by a "Yes!" in the chord voice - the final chorus is sung in chords so this works far better. I think the song is complete. It's a simple, plastic little pop-song, but fits perfectly well in this, well, plastic-pop part of this mini album.

The final track is the theme from my old Amiga game Burnout. At some point I made a long (7 minute) remix of it on my SY-85. Back then (late 1990s) I used to record all of my music on Sony Minidiscs (I still have the player and use it, rarely but sometimes, to record snippets from the radio - how retro of me). I've remade a new edit of this song based exactly on that version, it's almost the same musically but I've changed the odd instrument to fit. This is 100% sequenced which sounds a bit too dead and flat for my tastes now, so I've spent today adding expression to that.

Then, the last song of these six. This is the central song of the 'death' section (actually sort of a gothic star-crossed romance). The first is the Dream of Wasps song, then this one about being rejected, gazing in through a window at a lost love. There's instant image here due to the lyrics:

As the snow falls soft
in the rainbow lights
you will laugh
with friends.

I will stand outside
with the dying plants
and watch,
pretend.

The music is simple, A-minor, almost like Walking in the Air from The Snowman. I thought it needed more interest so I shifted it to D-minor (this shift always makes me think of Beethoven's 5th symphony, but I was reminded today that these keys are the main part of Visage's Fade to Grey too). The chorus cycles though a lot of chords and ends on the interesting G-minor so I'll probably continue there. At the moment the song will be short and pretty but I'd like to build it up.