Tuesday, March 02, 2021

Young Attractive And Physically Fit Tweaks

So pleased not to be in pain today. In the night I considered the song lyrics. Here they all are:

Hello
Nice party isn't it?
I've seen you around
There's something I've been meaning to say...

I'm young, attractive, and I'm physically fit (x8)

I've seen you here before
I've seen you look at me, you know?
Want to dance?

You're young, attractive, and you're physically fit (x8)

Want to get on down?
Let's do it!

We're young, attractive, and we're physically fit (x8)

The 'Let's do it!' line became something of an unexpected focus, the song paused there before the final chorus, but it didn't seem right for the song, and was also a bit long in timing so I thought of lots of options... even 'Let's boogie', which might have been fine if the phrase hadn't been used since the 1970s, but the film Boogie Nights has somewhat tainted the word. In the end I simply used 'Let's dance' - the two short syllables fitted the pause too.

The pause was a bit too dramatic. The lead to it was a quite relaxing wander of notes played on the Reface using a sound I designed called Kojak. It's a lovely mellow electric piano sound that reminded me really strongly of the a sound in the theme tune to ancient sit-com Sorry (with Ronnie Corbett). If a sound is this distinctive, it must be good. That part was so mellow that the pause was a bit odd, so I added a bit more to the run up. Actually, it's this part that reminds me a bit of Video Killed The Radio Star, the wah sound in the first few seconds of the song.

I went for a walk in the sun to see Deb outside briefly, and put up a blind in the kitchen. I also changed the Burnout theme several times, before setting it back to how it was. The pianos are very bright and tinny, almost too much in solo, but this is needed for the highly complex mix of this 90s-era tune... I've got bassdrums, bass, a filter sweeping semi-bass, sforzando strings, and long chords, and high bleeps, and the piano all playing at once! I'm reminded of the tune Sunchyme, which had bright pianos too and for similar mix reasons.

I also tweaked Plastic Superman a bit. I barely stopped but the day feels unproductive.