Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Box Done, Cornutopia Mapper

Tick tick! A busy day. The launch of Thermonuclear Domination on itch.io went well overnight so it looks like a good place to release my old games.

I started the day by finalising the paint box, gluing the new parts. Here is the finished article:

I can't decide whether to screw the front (the weakest part) or leave it. If it comes unstuck now it would be harder to reglue, but would look uglier if I screwed it. It feels quite solid, so I will probably leave it, partly as a test of the strength of Titebond II (if I screwed it, it would not be a test). I could also either paint or varnish it, but that's quite a lot of work for essentially nothing really, as the wood is pretty tough anyway.

Then I started to rework some 'loop' sound effects for possible release on the Scirra 'Construct' site, I have a library of 100 or so, but after I'd assembled everything, made art and previews for them all, it turned out that I already had them on sale in the other packs.

So, I turned to Cornutopia Mapper, my old tile map editor which I originally began work on in 2003. I had a map editor on Amiga called SCM4, which was vital for games like Hilt II, but that wasn't nearly as good as this mapper. For games like Taskforce it is/was an essential tool, and has been free on my website for years, but I removed it last year when working on the remastered Taskforce. Today I made a few cosmetic changes and added a new pdf manual.

The Chinese William Blake translations are ready so that is a job for the next day (or week) or two, I will release this and the English version before the end of May. With the Nightfood release in May, I think June would be a good month to release the second edition of The Many Beautiful Worlds of Death. I would also like to update some of the older games that I've not touched in over a decade: Arcangel, Trax, Roton, Martian Rover Patrol...

And I have about eight paintings drawn out... these need a little more planning of shading and colouration... I may work on this tomorrow.

On we march.