Saturday, April 10, 2021

Covidopolis, Neo-Renaissance

Woke early and decided on a full day of painting, the underpainting to a picture called Covidopolis. The hues are dark greens to peachy pinks. This took until 17:00 and was very tiring, my eyes seem to struggle these days, but I'm full of enthusiasm and ideas of all sorts.

While painting I listened to Beethoven's 5th and 6th Symphonies and Scott Walker, and after painting did some final tweaking to Nightfood. I'm pleased with The Myth of Sisyphus, my first song album where everything fitted as I had hoped it should, as good as my former work like The Spiral Staircase, or Cycles & Shadows for example. It was a leap up from my other vocal albums (I know I can revisit and tweak those to perfection at any point, but there is no rush). Nightfood is a leap up again, but there are many leaps left, two two are but steps, I can see so much more to do.

Tomorrow I'm putting together an 'online' exhibition for Nantwich Museum, a simple slideshow of work which I'll show in December (or whenever the exhibition is). I had planned lots of events for this, 'Neo-Renaissance', about multimedia. The events would involve, or would have involved, local poets, musicians, other artists... all in the name of cross collaboration; basically an evolutionary step on from my previous solo exhibitions of Arazmax Kane in Chester and 21st Century Surrealism in Stockport, because the 10 or so solo exhibitions before that were largely unattended and unseen. Covid has thrown a spanner in these plans. I feel I need more of a theme, a unity of sorts, more of an installation than a general exhibition, yet I have so many paintings, from years, eclectic, many unseen that people really need to see in person. A big show in my small and local museum is bound to have some sort of retrospective aspect, though my eyes and mind are on the future. I often feel like an alien here, a Man Who Fell To Earth. I have so many paintings from the past 15 years and too few outlets for them.