Saturday, April 03, 2021

Nightfood Work

A full day largely working on the production and recording of Nightfood. Last night I played the piano and recorded two parts for the song, a gentle flowing piano part in C-major, the 'day' before the finale. I also played with the harpsichord sound and created something based on the main verse chords, so now I have a structure for the whole song:

First we are in an 18th century party; checkerboard marble tiles, glass houses, with the harpsichord playing and a string quartet, it's evening but light. There is gentle chatter, then darkness, a black storm rolls in and the music changes to strange distorted instruments and demonic chatter. The melody is slow and morose, of the main verse. Then verses 1, 2, the quiet C-minor solo with electric guitar, then verse 3 and another demonic part ('the pit') which leads to an intro and verse 4 which echoes exactly the start of the song. This will lead into a relaxing sort of jazzy part with a gentle acoustic guitar melody which I played today, forgetting things... then, hopefully, this leads to the main verse (1, 4) chords but more aggressively before the finale in verse 2 chords/melody.

A lot of today was working on the harpsichord intro part, painting a picture with music, so I wanted background chatter and those strings to match the melody. String sequencing can take a very long time to make it sound half-good. I added some slowed down lion roars to the dark thunder section at the start. I used a real recording of a storm there, I've got a few which I recorded during dramatic downpours on my Zoom H4.

I also recorded that acoustic guitar part. The finale part is all to do. Here are the words (so far):

They only come at night
When your mind isn't looking
They come at night
To bite at your guts

They will eat their fill
of your meaty soul
with their smoky horns of silver
and their choking eyes of coal

they will drag you backwards to
the pit
they will drag you backwards to
the pit

there is nothing that you can pray
as you paralyse in fright
but you will forget in the day
forget in the light

But they will return at night
They only come at night

In other jobs, I listed The Burning Circus on Smashwords, a better platform than Amazon for ebooks. I'll do the same for my other books eventually. None have really sold, but I'm sure they will eventually, drip by drip.