Thursday, April 29, 2021

Painting Aspartame, Cock of the Woke

A long painting day, very tired now. Completed the Aspartame underpainting, then decided the start on one called Cock of the Woke, a painting about pride which, like Aspartame, has a somewhat wry and amusing feeling; tongue-in-cheek, raised eyebrow, something like that.

In speed and technique I'm painting better than perhaps ever before; I feel I need to paint a lot while I can, a sort of duty to create great artworks, as I am filled with the ideas and ability and won't be forever. I need a gallery, exhibitions, regular sales.

Crewe is such an artistic backwater, I feel sure if I were in almost any other location in Britain or the world that I'd be nationally or internationally famous by now, though I must remind myself that I've only been painting for 15 years and only called myself an artist for 10, and have done a huge amount in that time. Ten years is mere blip. The best is yet to come.