Thursday, April 22, 2021

More Paint Boxing, Mapper v1.15

A slower day of small and annoying jobs. I realised that I will need a paint box lid so started by cutting the wood for this; I used 3mm H.D.F. for the top for weight reasons, although it doesn't look as pretty as M.D.F. and is more difficult to glue. I attached some 12mm M.D.F. cuboids to the back to screw the hinges into and by this evening it was glued and complete:

Here it is with paints in. The ranks start with blacks, then red/orange browns, yellow browns, then earth reds, yellows (ochres), greens/blues, then bright red, yellows, greens, blues, violets.

Many of the tubes were really sticky and messy and are in little bags for now, which will make them awkward to use. I aim to put new, clean tubes in without bags. I've barely touched some colours like gold and silver since buying them in 2005 or so and the tubes are a mess. It would be pedantic to buy new tubes just because they are clean but I'm considering it. The iridescent white, which I very rarely use, is the only colour that is in such a mess that I will have to buy a new tube.

In other jobs; I copied over some poetic lyrics which I've been working on all week. I've got about three folders of music 'in progress' but this is all experiments and probably won't go anywhere. I don't want to leave it for long, that is too messy. I'm not one of those artists who had half finished projects from years ago all over the place - I sometimes have ideas like that, but after a while I'll file them away, or use them, or delete them.

I then read a thread on itch.io about hex maps and how some are staggered vertically rather than horizontally, so I decided to experiment with adding this to my mapper, and it wasn't that difficult, so I added the feature for different staggers of hex map.

That's it for the day. I've been casually watching Logan, a good Marvel superhero film (which itself is rare). The film has made me feel tired and ill and old. This week has been Wolverinish in the amount of running up and down and about I've done and I've slept only a few hours last night and the night before, less than four hours each, due to excess nervous energy (generally positive 'excitement' rather than negative 'worry' - this probably makes no difference).