Friday, April 30, 2021

Cock of the Woke Underpainting

A long sleepless night and a tired day of a constant and strange headache on the right side. Completed the Cock of the Woke underpainting. It's a strange work, completely non-commercial, and I'm unsure about almost every aspect of it. Its greatest success is how realistic the figure, face, and limbs etc. look, when these were (unusually for me) painted from imagination. It is a continuation of my 'biomorphic objects', like Malformed Phoenix Embryo from 2018, which remains one of my favourites. I need to think about the new one for a long time.

I decided to change my website a bit, removing the frames from most of the images (keeping them for works like The Bully, where the frame is a sculptural element). This has a cleaner look, the frames are there to remind people that these are paintings; they look much better in real life than on screen, and there are so many digital images online that people can become used to these 'fake' virtual images, yet, the paintings look better bigger and with less distraction, so I've decided to remove the frames. There are over 3000 images on my website of main paintings, excluding close-ups etcetera. Fortunately I can automate the conversion process.