Friday, February 18, 2022

Birthday, Burn of God CDs, New Synth, Secret Electric Sorcery Release, and Harmonic Resynthesis

Yesterday was Deb's birthday, a lovely relaxing day, my first day off this year. A nice home-cooked meal of prawns, ginger, spring onions, shiitake mushrooms. I now avoid take-away food and prefer home-cooked. The food is healthier, cheaper, and nicer in every way. The same is true of almost all restaurant food, though Deb, as a former head chef, and myself as a rare cook, but one who takes time over food and treats the art of cooking as any other I practice, are perhaps better at this skill than many professionals. I value healthiness of food over any other attribute.

I suggested we watch a Nobuhiko Obayashi film, an idea thwarted by the fact that none of his films are available to stream apart from Hausu. I felt so sleepy, perhaps, this first taste of rest, that rare tonic.

I dreamt of a trip to the seaside. I emerged into sun from a railway station and asked some kids the way to the beach, the way south. They pointed down a road. I found myself on a coach going that way, sneaking aboard for free. People piled on and passengers were accreted. At some point someone started shooting. I think the passengers were gangsters or all assassins of different sorts. One person had a machinegun of sorts, perhaps like an umbrella. There was no blood, but much noise and chaos, fear, and broken things.

Today, after a headache-filled few days of relative slowness, everything explodes into extreme busyness.

Burn of God has been submitted to the steaming services and needs listing everywhere. The batch of CDs has arrived, an excellent job done, they look fantastic. I will pack these today. Pre-orders are accepted now, and these will be shipped on release day.

I've also ordered a new full-size synth, a Yamaha MODX7, my first since my beloved SY-85 in 1997. This will be a practical instrument for both recording, and more than the SY-85, for live playing, particularly with Fall in Green. The light weight was a definite factor in my choice of instrument. I love Yamaha instruments, they do so much very well, even if Korg often have cooler sounds. As a more technically-minded sound engineer programming person, I like the technical aspects of the manuals and way they work. I prefer power of use to ease of use.

My album Secret Electric Sorcery is released today too, this needs promoting and mentioning, and ideally new videos creating and uploading.

I've also thought of a new idea for audio synthesis which I call Harmonic Resynthesis. It has aspects of a vocoder and a Hammond Organ. Sounds are broken down into a range of harmonics, sine waves, in a restricted number of bands and these can be swapped and modified. This should be easy to program, I will try this at some point.

I am also very artistically inspired and ache to create but for now, there is so much to do. Onwards we march.