Monday, February 07, 2022

Community Art, Heart Of Snow Canvases

I've never made community art. Isn't the phrase an oxymoron? The only exception is art which involves participation; a performance or an event. For actual artworks, even the best 'art by committee' is good only in transience because that which is new is necessarily unpopular.

I say this in response to a comment that no artists today work in isolation, to enhance their craft, self and world through art, though I do, and many of the best artists I know do. Of course, like me, these remain generally obscure, rarely sell work, though it is usually the very best of art by the very best of artists. I receive and fulfil commissions, from people who like my style and want something similar. I can, of course, paint any portrait or pet, but I never get asked to paint a 'normal' painting. I could compose a tune, symphony, poem or novel, or restore an old master or repair just about anything, but people don't ask me for such things, though perhaps one day they will.

A very good day today, and a sleepful night. I dreamt of a world where the portals from my novel The Many Beautiful Worlds of Death were trapping people in strange places, perhaps myself. I think the woman from Stargate SG-1 was in the dream. I may have been trapped, or trying to rescue someone. The dream made me think about love, death, heaven, and other things.

The day has been productive. I've completed the Spotify Canvases for Heart of Snow. I used some images from the album art, and generally a smoky or somehow delicately animated background.

Otesanek here quakes alarmingly:

Bleak Forest has some wonderful drifty snowflakes, the magic of Argus. I made them appear at random places, random sizes, and they wobble left to right in a sine wave, and down as they fade. It all looks rather magical.

I've also finally balanced Heart of Snow, yet again. This album has take two weeks just to balance and master, far longer than any album before... partly because I refused to balance the audio of an album, but now I can see the artistic unity that this can impart to an album. It's amazing how whole albums differ in feeling of EQ. Kimono My House has such a bass-heavy feel to all of it, very 70s rock, yet in comparison to the glassy and glitzy Kick Inside.

I've made the final changes to v2.77 of Prometheus, so now I can save and load EQ profiles. There are few other changes. I may update Argus too, after today's canvas work. Bless my programming genius! Like J.F. Sebastian I am awash with A.I. friends to populate my steel and orange fortress of solitude.

But art is my life, commitment, solemn calling. Heart of Snow won't be released for months, until the appropriate winter, but Burn of God should be ready fairy soon; this is my next job. Secret Electric Sorcery is due out soon, but that was very much a learning album for me, a stepping stone to the greater things to come this year.