Saturday, February 12, 2022

Burn Of God Spotify Canvases

I feel tired, cold, weak, exhausted, unrewarded and ignored by the cruel facelessness of humanity, yet, I am still working well, and today, woke early and charged into work on the Spotify Canvases for Burn of God. Secret Electric Sorcery is due out soon, and though I like many of the songs, I feel that in production and performance terms, I've already moved on a step since that album, and it's not even released yet. Everything I create in future will be better than anything I have made before, but this can cause me as much sadness as joy. How I'd love to fix-up and perfect the older work, make it as good and perfect as the new work. Perhaps my eternal optimism is showing a downside.

I spent yesterday updating my video for 'The Eternal Dogma' - a video made using Argus v1.00 which worked in a slightly different way (actors were tied to, and synonymous with, tracks) so this meant remaking it all. It's not finished.

So very tired today, but have completed a first draft of the 16 Spotify Canvas animations. It shouldn't be too difficult for me to make these full-screen for every song... is this worth it? Perhaps, but part of me would like to do a better job than make an 8-second loop as a music video.

My visual themes for these 'canvases' came from the music and the album art: thunder and lightning, Abrahamic-God fury, the angst of the Sacrifice of Isaac (the sculpture, and the act!), but also gentleness, glows, hopes and the ethereal clouds of peace and nature. Here's a clip from The Eternal Dogma:

Confession shows some of the clouds which pepper these animations. Most swirl gently or ominously; this one charges and whirls like a demonic dance:

More unusual ones include the spinning skulls of The Palace of Skeletons:

And the zooming zig-zags of Riding Pi has three layers and bends and sways. This was one of the most complex to get right, there are so many options. You can discern from the perspective how 3D this one looks:

So, I've managed 16 animations today.