Thursday, August 25, 2022

Entwined Work

A really full day working on Entwined in Infinity. I decided to remove the pianos completely and sequence everything as a virtual orchestra, which creates complex challenges. The workload for even this short sequence is substantial, this will take a lot of crafting.

I also touched upon The Planet's Oracle, this is much more complete; it is simpler, most of the track is fairly monotone piano. One musical change I've made is to cycle the final chord sequence twice and use the last D-minor as the first chord of the second cycle, 15 patterns vs. 16. It sounded too boring to have two Ds in a row.

I've also been programming a bit more of Prometheus, unexpectedly. I thought it would be nice to export a MIDI sequence to make the piano play it, but the MIDI exporter exports in simple beats and measures, so if I vary the tempo in complex ways (or at all) the sequence doesn't vary (I'm not even sure if tempo can be modulated in real time in a MIDI sequence, but ho, my tempo modulations are too complex for that anyway), so I programmed a new MIDI exporter that uses the sample-location for each instrument in the final render. I'm using MIDI more and more, so this will probably be useful. It would allow me, for example, to craft a section in Prometheus and make the MODX (or the P105, or DX, or Microkorg) play it back for recording and inclusion.