Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Gas, Prometheus Skips, Migraines

Rather than subsidise gas, the energy crisis is a golden opportunity for the government to provide grants for windmills and solar panels for every business and household and create a truly sustainable economy.

I doubt this will happen.

I completed most of The Bird in Borrowed Feathers yesterday before dashing off to see Deb. I feel exhausted today. In the early hours I lay awake, my mind racing with ideas of how to improve Prometheus again, though it is functional as it is, and I have a million other jobs. In the morning I updated my website with details of the Ty Pawb exhibition, and made a new Fall in Green video live. My mind remains racing strangely and I have trouble focusing on one thing.

I decided to add a new Prometheus feature, or rather upgrade an old one, by making the cursor skips, which occur in ticks, based on the prime factors of the ticks-per-beat. Up until now you could select a skip as a fraction of a beat (eg. 1/4th) but some fractions are not whole (like 1/7th of the default 48 ticks). You can choose any number of ticks-per-beat, this is the timing resolution of the song (in practice, however, I stick with 48, I can't recall any song that doesn't). Following today's upgrade, when setting this, all of the integral factors of this are calculated and these become the skip options; and you can increase the skip by one tick too, making skips larger than one beat possible for the first time.

I have more to do, so much. The music feels barely started, yet I've worked hour after hour, day after day on this for over three weeks. Barely half of the album is complete and only the first track actually ready (the others need vocals, if nothing else). I have upgraded Prometheus a lot, and the new sample library and new ways of using the MODX and MIDI have caused these delays, but improved the quality too.

Now I feel dizzy, shaky, perniciously anxious. I keep seeing flashing lights, and earlier the imposition of this visual migraine was too strong for me to work. I must pause, though must do so briefly. For three weeks, this music has been my only artistic output. I need more, want more, but the music must get done. The Salomé iron is hot.