Sunday, August 07, 2022

Exhaustion and Video Editing

I feel utterly exhausted and physically run down, hardly the energy to move, but work is more pressing than ever.

Spent yesterday editing the 2x 20-minute HD videos, chopping and converting into 15 short films to document the performance. Mike kindly sent his sound recording of the night. Of the three recordings, my two are distorted on the piano parts, the camera badly so. Mike's audio has loud fan noise but is clear and I'll make the best of that.

The conversion process itself involves cropping and making two videos; one with audio for aligning the sound, and one without which will be used. Each raw video is 20,000kpbs or so, I convert to 6000 and each takes about 20 minutes. Then processing the audio, small changes generally to check the volume and editing for size - I don't want to filter it or change it much.

Stefano's long speech, 20 minutes or so, took about 45 minutes to render. I created a new animation using his image, his portrait from InkPantry, replacing Freud:

All of this first stage of conversion took from about 9am to 10pm yesterday. I expect it will take another full day today to convert these into the final videos. I need to make still images, credits etc., for each film.

After 10pm last night I worked on the posters for the Crewe performance. I really didn't want and don't want to do this, I feel too tired and was so looking forward to the end of the project last Wednesday - but Deb has pushed me and it is a good opportunity to perform it a second time, learning some of the lessons from the first performance. I'll make some changes to the projections, create four new videos, and hopefully be able to play better. The overwhelming workload, mental and physical, for these performances can't be over-stated. It is impossible in these circumstances to play the piano to any degree but the most basic.

On we roll our rock.