Friday, August 19, 2022

Sleep Patterns, Salome Music

A busy, happy and full day. I've slept for most of the night for the first time in what feels like weeks, falling into a pattern of waking at 2am, staying awake until 6am. Those times can be productive, sometimes I think and work in these early hours, but it can leave the (usually late) mornings feeling tired and shooting away.

But last night I slept and woke early, perhaps due to a slight reduction in temperature, at last! - and perhaps the reading of Time, Fate, and Language, and considering the fatalism problem, as detailed in my previous post.

I'm making steady progress on the music. I'm unsure if the new strings, however numerous are a vast leap above mine, but some are, so I'll limit my use to simply one new set of strings for the whole album, and not worry about fine details yet. I finalised the Prometheus programming and added chords to the Xenex theme sheet music, for Peter's piano lesson later:

Then worked on the strings and some arrangement for Lou Salome Remembers. Peter arrived at 2pm and I played him the music, he said that it reminded him of Pirates of the Caribbean - the horror! - but perhaps any bombastic waltz melody will sound like this. I think I'll build up the melody from quiet piano to a big orchestral; sound, then down again, like a dream being spun into a joyous rainbow, then collapsing to peace again.

After this I got back to editing the piano recordings of some of the other tracks; the booming The Planet's Oracle, which I'll probably break into small sections and record those, making a sort of hybrid (perhaps like Sparks did in Lil' Beethoven). This evening I've been finalising the piano for Give Me Your Pain, which was inspired by the dramatic intro to At The Harbour by Renaissance, which is the dramatic finale to La Cathédrale Engloutie by Debussey.

Part of me is unsure if I should now pause the music and work on painting in these last few weeks. So much to do! I really wanted, ached to complete some new great paintings, but ultimately all I've done this year is finish a few old ideas and left all of the new and wonderful concepts and great artworks to do nothing but languish in the planning stages. My portrait of Rene Descartes must wait. My images of black holes at the end of the universe must wait. My portrait of Prospero with Miranda must wait. Everything must wait while the light and my eyes decay. Oh for more time and resources!