Saturday, August 13, 2022

Heat, Crewe Salomé, Projector Screen Prototype

Two hot and exhausting days. The days are too hot to do much work, too hot for the computer.

Yesterday was the Crewe Library performance of Salomé, a contrast in some ways to Congleton. it was in the day, at 4pm, in the (thankfully) air conditioned library. The daylight made the look very different, no lighting here, and the sole projections were very washed out compared to Congleton where the images played a large part of the show. Here's a photo by Claire Faulkner, one of the first to arrive:

Ann Watson starred as the knitter this time. People arrived late, such that at 3:30, no guests had arrived, and many missed the start, which was about 4:15pm. We had about 20 in the audience, about the same as Congleton, perhaps a few more as a few casual passers-by in the library stopped to look. Oddly, many left at the break, perhaps have the audience remaining for the open-mic and finale.

Helen Kay said that she didn't want to read a poem, which surprised me when she mentioned it as she was the first to sign up. She said that she didn't want to spoil our 'special day' - which I thought was an odd comment, as though the day was some reward or joy, rather than work. But perhaps I sound harsh, the day was happy, and it was nice to see Helen, a truly supportive friend, and I was most delighted to have several other friends turn up unexpectedly for the event.

Readers were: Ann Watson (fun, and the most moving poem of the day about working in a hospice), Carol Finch (always good quality poetry), Christopher Gilmore with Peter Balak (wonderful, as always), and Moragh Carter (egregious, as always).

Angus was really helpful, and the experience of performing was all good. Donations were £10, vs. around £150 for Congleton. The rewards were social and experiential (though this result does taint possible future events in the library). It was nice that Stefano could speak to a new audience about Lou Salomé too - I wonder if we will meet again? After the event we went for drinks with Stefano, Christopher Gilmore, and Peter Balak, such lovely people. Christopher Gilmore, though more frail now than when we first met, still has great physical and vocal presence. It's a shame that more friends couldn't join us.

Today I've ran around like crazy, making a prototype projector screen. I started by making 'moulds' from 12mm MDF:

That is for the central saltire, the other to hold a Bulldog clip:

Then I squished warm and fluid Polymorph plastic into them. Polymorph doesn't really stick to anything, not paint or even itself. It makes it good for moulds, but isn't very flexible... I've used wood for the moulds here because I knew it wouldn't stick. Polymorph is massively strong. I'm still unsure if it really is a useful material. Well, after a day of work, I completed the 5 parts:

What's needed next is a few rods and cloth to stretch between the corners. It's been really hard work making these in the intense heat, and of little utility (do we even need a projector screen?), but I wanted to experiment. I now think that an all wooden design would have been easier and more elegant. Every new idea needs many revisions.

It remains too hot to work. Too hot to have the computer on, too hot to record music or update websites.

My father's health has recovered a bit, and he's now able to descend stairs, but he remains ill. My future is as uncertain as ever, but I must strive each day to do my best. Vita brevis.