Sunday, July 28, 2024

Frameculator v100

A surprise full day of programming! Something of a distraction, a break from the stress of art. I think I needed it. I've been feeling very weak recently and need a break.

I've programmed a tool to calculate picture frame sizes and wood lengths. I made a simple program called Triculator that did this a few years ago, but that was in Visual Basic 6 and so I'm unable to change it. That tool calculated angles for odd shaped paintings, but I wanted more. I wanted to know the internal and external sizes of a frame, to know how much wood I'd need, and where to mark the pieces for hand-cutting.

I do this all the time by hand every time I make a frame, but it can be a tiresome and exacting process, that is only easy when I use the same type of wood. This tool can calculate how much wood is needed, where to mark it, and calculate the angles for a triangle frame, or complex quadrilateral, as here:

I thought it might take me a few days, but it's taken about 12 satisfying hours. I'll use this to make a 'concrete' frame for the love-sick jigsaw painting.