Monday, July 01, 2024

Circuit Sawing

A new idea yesterday. Part of it uses an old hard drive circuit board which I'd had hanging around for art use. I developed an idea with it in 2007 featuring a white mouse, but never haven't got round to realising it, and this idea is better. It required sawing the board with a jeweller's saw, which was not easy. There was one particular very hard component that I had to grind off with the bench grinder.

This will float over the painting panel. Rather than have it fixed to the frame I've decided to bolt it to the panel. So, I need to drill holes in the panel at exactly the right place, and attach nuts to the circuit board, as you can see above. The offcut on the right was a test for the glue, it seems to be strong, but I've added holt-melt glue around the edges too. These nuts will be hidden, this is the back. Their stainless steel will be the only part of the board to touch the painting panel. The painting will involve Vermeer.

Most of today was spent on my quarterly backups, but I also did a bit more sawing with the coping saw, cutting a new panel for a possible new 'Love is Dead' central portrait. All of the three extant versions (I can't find the first version!) look lovely in real life, but when I see the images online or digitally, they don't. I've now painted this portrait three times, but it's still not quite right. I may keep painting it forever, regularly, and make whole set of them.

A last used of the saw involved cutting the circular backing board for 'The Wheel Of Attraction And Repulsion', which has a circular resin frame from an old mirror. Last time I worked on this was May 2023 when I injured my hand badly, so working on this revives that memory. It won't have glass (I can't easily cut a glass circle) but the other parts of the frame are now complete.