Thursday, July 18, 2024

Painting Plans

Much of today was spent tracing over the underdrawing to 'The Angels Musing Over All That Is Left Of Rachel Hudson'. This is ready to paint, but I need to paint a colour study first.

After that, work on a simple, spartan work directly inspired by a vision in a dream. It was four circles forming a man's torso, with white circles where the hands should be. I realised that these were 'hosts', the body of Christ. The image is simple enough but I'm unsure of the colours. I had in mind plain grey, similar to 'Don't Think I Can Feel Love Anymore', but then I thought I should make the lower 'sky' near black. There is some floating bread there. Should I make it dark brown or dark green? The upper sky could be any hue... but cold, green, yellow, or gold.

There are no right or wrong answers, just different moods and meanings. I've looked at some Rothko's. I'm reminded that he never seemed to slope his works, always stability for a form of religious reverence.