Sunday, July 21, 2024

Scarecrow Underpainting, Palace For The King Of Forever

Completed the underpainting to the new scarecrow painting 'Nobody Cares About You, Really. Get Over It!'. I made a few changes in colour relative to the study, using more green and turquoise for the sky in particular.

I mixed too much paint for the sky, so improvised a new painting in those colours on a spare canvas board:

It was based on a sketch in my ideas-book, but done without any planning, a casual improvised copy of sorts, using the limited colours I had.

I've named it 'Palace For The King Of Forever'. I will glaze it in future to add more colour to those grey areas.

I love painting in this improvisational style, and perhaps it contains everything needed in a more efficient way than doing the meticulous planning of my current practice. One downside is that this very ad-hoc nature limits the paint quality, as painting over another colour will muddy it. The key to the best painting is the put the right colour in the right place first time, and this is impossible in a painting like this, although the muddiness can be mitigated during glazing.