Friday, July 12, 2024

Vermeer Underpainting

Underpainting today for the new 'circuit board' painting. The work is about one quarter or one fifth scale from the original. I wondered if it's easier to copy a painting larger or smaller than the original? I think it's probably no more difficult or easy either way. Here it is so far:

The details of the girl's face are complicated because I didn't have a brush with a tiny enough point. Things should be easier in the glaze.

With a miniature, everything is scaled down. One uses softer, smaller brushes to simulate shrunken normal brushes, and less paint - though still enough to blend.

My colours are a little grey. I perhaps need more blue and more hue generally. Vermeer is one artist who has a similar love of grey to myself. Observing his work today, I don't think he was patient. I know that some types of brushwork can look quick and spontaneous while actually taking a long time, but sometimes I felt that his work was rushed due to impatience rather than a desire for flair. I rush myself at times; one can't take too long, but also can't be too quick either. Everything, in the performance art that is painting an oil painting, is balance.