Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Busyness and Mastering

After a few weeks of focus on this music, the art world seems to be opening up with greater rapidity each day. I must write the piano music for the Crewe Tree of Light commission, only 3 weeks to go, then prepare for the possible Congleton performance; this is 40 minutes, so a lot of work may be needed, and this too is but 3 weeks away. I have had an enquiry about a possible, monumental scale public art commission too, which is interesting but I'm unsure of the details or what I can do, or how, yet.

Plans for Neorenaissance are also marching on. The Castle Park exhibition opens on Friday, and it looks like I'll part of the Macc Art Lounge exhibition this December too, which I always love being part of. It was amazing that one of the other Balmain artists said that he organises one exhibition every two years due to the work involved, and I seem to take part in two every month - or that is how it seems. Unfortunately a lot of my books are with Galleria Balmain, so I've ordered more stock. I'm also awaiting the results from The Royal Cambrian Academy of Art, and will be entering the Grosvenor Competition in January. In 2022, I will start some sort of ArtSwarm or other performance event too, but that can wait for a while.

Meanwhile, I'm working on the new music, which is now complete. Today, 'mastering' which is a bit of a meaningless term in the digital age, but for me involves the overall structural planning of an album; segueing one track into another (this album will, unusually for me, not do this) and balancing the general volume levels. I dislike the concept, and even more the result, of applying compression (or EQ) to a song, or applying any effect at all to a whole track unless its for specific artistic reasons. Crunshing music until it sounds like a noise is a crime - but a common offence these days.

In this case, the mastering was some of my easiest. All of the tracks seem to sound fine, but I'll need to pause for a few days/weeks and relisten.

I need to work on the cover art, and then Spotify Canvases, and format the labels for Nantwich, write and practice the piano piece and prepare the art for Macc. I think that this must be done tomorrow. I want longer days, 44 hours each would be preferable.